It’s painless, takes minutes and it could save your life.
When it comes to oral cancer, early detection is key. Getting screened is an effective way to discover oral cancer at an early, highly curable stage. With VELscope powered by Sapphire, our dentist can even detect lesions before they preduce any pain or symptom. So see our dentist for regular screenings with VELscope.
HPV-increasing incidence of oral cancer in young adults and non-smokers
Human papillomavirus (HPV), the sexually transmitted infection commonly associated with 95% of cervical cancer cases, has been linked to oral cancer. HPV has caused an increase of cases in young, non-smoking individuals, a group that, until recently, had a low rate of oral cancer incidence.
- More common in men than women
- Most common in African Americans
- Greater risk after age 35
- Tobacco use
- Frequent alcohol consumption
- Prolonged exposure to sunlight (lip cancer)
- A diet low in fruits and vegetables
- The sexually transmitted infection HPV
- Red and/ or white patches in the mouth
- any sore that doesn’t heal within 14 days
- Persistent hoarseness
- Feeling like something is caught in the throat
- Diffculty moving the jaw or tongue
- Diffculty in swallowing
- Ear pain on one side only
- A sore under a denture that doesn’t heal
- A lump or thickening in the mouth or on the neck
Why should I get screened with VELscope powered by Sapphire?
- Early detection is vital for successful prevention and treatment of oral cancer-it could save your life!
- Oral cancer can disfigure the face and neck
- It’s proven to detect oral lesions-even lesions that aren’t visible!
- Procedure is painless and takes only minutes
- HPV has been linked to oral cancer and is on the rise
- Insurance coverage is available for yearly oral cancer exams
- Gives your dentist a clear, up-close look at the condition of your mouth
- Digital camera allows your dentist to document findings for records and to ensure accurate treatment
Lesion that didn’t look suspicious that turned out to be cancer: